At our Annual Meeting in March, the Inreach Committee presented this new idea for creating small groups to foster friendships and trading between members. “Special Interest” groups can be formed around cooking, crafting, gardening, art gallery hopping or ANYTHING you can imagine you’d love teaching, doing or learning more about with others.
How do Special Interest Groups work?
The idea is to make them simple and FUN! Groups can meet once or they can meet multiple times. Anyone who offers to lead a group and is planning to teach or demonstrate a special skill, etc. should feel free to charge one Time Dollar per hour for each participant. You can also charge federal dollars for the cost of any materials you provide. (Please let participants know up front).
Other groups may be more informal. Maybe you just want to organize a walk through Dog Town, a book discussion group or a trip to a local museum for examples. In that case you might not charge Time Dollars or choose to charge a small portion of an hour per person for your time organizing or hosting the event. Please be clear about this in your offer.
How to join or lead a Special Interest Group
To join a group:
- contact the leader directly (name is highlighted in list below).
- If no leader is listed yet, please contact Becky Williams at 978-219-6776 or Coordinator@capeanntimebank.org to request your name be added to the group. You'll be contacted once we find a leader.
To lead a group:
- Sign up to be a group leader for one of the groups below or suggest a new group.
- Contact any members who have already signed up to make arrangements.
- Create an "Offer" on the website to let other members know it's happening.
- In the title of the offer include that it's a "Special Interest Group".
- Offer as much detail as you can about what the group will be doing and if any TimeDollars will be exchanged or fees charged for materials.
Special Interest Groups List:
Pie Crusts & Pastry Making
Dinner Party with Ethnic cooking lesson / Joining: Gitama
Fermenting: Sauerkraut & Kefir / Leader: Becky Williams, Joining: Nancy G., Gitama, Christie Wight
Special Outings Groups:
Walking Group (short) / Joining: Gitama, Becky, Christie Wight
Art Gallery hopping
Foraging Nature Walk / Christie Wight
Arts & Crafts Groups:
Craft & Chat Group / Leaders: Lee Lewis & Laura Alvosus
Knitting & Crocheting / Lester S
Silver Jewelry Polishing
Pottery / Joining: Gitama, Becky, Christie Wight
Fixing & Repairing Groups:
Fixing Lamps or small electrics
Small furniture repair & painting / Leader: Cheryl Davis, Joining: Becky
Health & Wellness Groups:
Jin Shin Jyutsu / Leader: AlLandra Seas
Meditation & Movement / Leader: Gitama Kinigstein
Help at Home Groups:
Gardening / Joining: Gitama, Lester S., Christie Wight
Writing Group / Leader: Margaret Young
New Member Gatherings
Music Making / Christie Wight
Practice Language Skills (French, Portuguese, etc)
Social Action / Joining: Gitama
Book Discussion / Leader: Gitama Kinigstein, Joining: Lorraine Bunker, Becky W.